Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sunrise musings

I found myself driving at sunrise today. It is not uncommon for me to see the sunrise, nor to stop and take a moment to take in the majesty of the skyline. But today was particularly amazing. The sky was clouded, in part, where half of the sky was colored steel and the other the pale butter yellow of early sun. Where the clouds crept away from the sky, the part inside my windshield, I saw a rainbow. A rainbow at sunrise? The first I'd every seen. Its arc across the sky was so faint it was barely there, and its colors were blurred with an orange glow, except for a strip of blue at its bottom; just enough to call it more than a trick of the clouds. As I drove, I watched it. And when the sun spilled over the top of the horizon, it cast a red-orange glow over every field, every tree, everything between me and the horizon. Then, arc was gone, and only a curved pillar of blurry color remained. Then the sun rose and hid behind its curtain of clouds and the rainbow disappeared in time for the construction zone and the realities of my day to return to the forefront of my mind.But they seemed a little less harsh than before.

1 comment:

  1. It is truly a remarkable world in which we live! And no matter how many times I read about the science of rainbows and sunrise, they never cease to be magical somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Leave me a note.